PUBG Wins Game of the Year Award at 2018 Steam Awards
Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey, GTA V and CD Projekt Red amongst other winners in varying categories Player Unknown’s Battlegrounds was declared the best game of the year overall at the awards. Other nominees in the category included Monster Hunter: World, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Hitman 2, Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey.
The 17 minute long, third annual Steam Awards by Valve were live broadcast on their website.
The award show was quite a mysterious spectacle without any anchor or conventional embellishments of the industry. The show consisted of trailer mosaics and voice-overs to announce nominees and winners of different categories. The actual voting took place in the early part of December, 2018 alongwith Steam’s 12th Annual Winter Sale where the company had requested its consumers to vote for games in different categories including Game of the Year, Best Developer, VR Game of the Year, Best Environment and others.
The voters were gifted a set of digital trading cards.PUBG has gained massive traction amongst audience on all gaming platforms and was the best seller on Steam’s marketplace in 2018. So, it came out as no surprise that PlayerUnknown’s Battle Ground won the best game of the year award.The Best Developer award witnessed the most fiercely fought category and it was admitted by the award organizers as they accepted the fact that there was miniscule difference amongst the nominees. Valve cited this as the primary reason for the long list of nominees in the category which consisted of 10 contestants.
Here is a list of winners and the runner ups in all categories:
• Game of the Year: Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds (runner-ups: Monster Hunter: World, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Hitman 2, Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey)
• VR Game of the Year: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR (runner-ups: VR Chat, Beat Saber, Fallout 4 VR, Superhot VR)
• Labor of Love: Grand Theft Auto 5 (runner-ups: No Man’s Sky, Path of Exile, Dota 2, Stardew Valley)
• Best Developer: CD Projekt Red (runner-ups: Ubisoft, Bethesda, Rockstar, Digital Extremes, Square Enix, Capcom, Paradox Interactive, Bandai Namco, Klei)
• Best Environment: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (runner-ups: Subnautica, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Far Cry 5, Dark Souls 3)
• Better With Friends: Rainbow Six Siege (runner-ups: Payday 2, Dead By Daylight, CS: GO, Overcooked! 2)
• Best Alternate History: Assassin’s Creed Odyssey (runner-ups: Wolfenstein 2, Hearts of Iron 4, Civilization 6, Fallout 4)
• Most Fun With a Machine: Rocket League (runner-ups: Euro Truck Simulator 2, Nier: Automata, Factorio, Space Engineers)
Here is the link to the 2018 Stean Awards by GamersPrey. The video also includes a few words of gratefulness by different developers.